The Perfect Fall Salad
This Fall Salad with apples and pecans is perfect for autumn! This salad, made with delicious honey mustard dressing, is a great holiday side dish or just a hearty lunch. If you can dice fruit and whisk dressing, you can make this salad.
- Make the salad dressing. Whisk together the ingredients. This dressing will keep well in the refrigerator if you want to make it the night before. Just let it come to room temperature before serving and give it a good shake.
- Combine the remaining ingredients. In a large bowl combine the mixed greens, diced fruit, craisins, blue cheese and pecans. You may find that it is better to leave the cheese on the side if you are serving guests.
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 apple I love Jonathan, Fuji, or Gala for this salad, diced
- 1 pear diced
- 1/3 cup craisins
- 1/2 cup blue cheese read about substitutions here
- 1/2 cup salted pecans
Honey Mustard Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
In a mason jar, combine all the ingredients for the dressing and then shake to combine.
In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients. Toss to combine. Serve with the dressing on the side.
Substitutions and Variations
- Swap out the blue cheese. Not everyone is a fan of blue cheese. You can easily take that out and add in feta cheese instead.
- Kick the pecans up a notch. This recipe is great with salted pecans, but even more festive with candied pecans.
- Mix up the apples. I love Gala Fuji and Jonathan apples in this, but you can use what you have.
- Add in bacon. Looking for another great flavor to add to this salad? Pop in some bacon.
Leftovers of this salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. My suggestion would be to serve the dressing on the side. Then lightly toss any leftovers with a little dressing. This will keep the fruit from browning in the refrigerator.
Recipe by: Lisa Longley, Simple Joy